We are the founding church in this area which has served the community since 1805. Jacob Cummer, a United Empire Loyalist, built a log meeting house called Cummer's Chapel in 1816 on the tip of his property, now the corner of Church and Yonge St. The historic cemetery remains on this site.
In 1856 the old log chapel was torn down and replaced by a large, yellow, brick and stucco church with a tall spire atop.
In 1925 the United Church of Canada was formed and included the Methodist Church, the Presbyterian Church and the Congregational Church.
Between 1931 and 1932, Yonge Street was widened and the front end of the church, facing west, was removed. The front door was relocated at the south side of the building.
In 1954 the congregation built a new church on Kenneth Avenue to accommodate the growing suburb of Willowdale.